Sea freight shipping has been made so very convenient in this day and age. It really is critical for businesses who send a lot of products or send bulk items etc. However, many times the greener aspects of our environment are forgotten simply because another method may seem simpler, easier or cheaper. I’m willing to bet that you do not know that being environmentally friendly actually could save you money in the long run. In any case, the way of our world is such that it is become increasingly important to make sure that we choose the eco-friendly methods over anything else that might be an option. Here are a few tips to help you in making the right decision:
- Make sure you are choosing the right size container Shippers can tend to feel fairly limited by the box sizes. I remember myself, needing to ship a large drum set and finding the correct size for the odd shapes and sizes was a trying event. There were a lot of packing peanuts, and bubble wrap involved in that package. However, even if it is difficult to find the size you need, do what you can because having the right size container in order to preserve resources and cut costs. If you are an owner reading this, ensure that you have a wide variety of containers for your customers to choose from.
- Using imperishable packaging materials In other words, use recycled material to ship your items. Generally, recyclables are the same cost as new materials whether you have air and ocean cargo or sea freight shipping. The more paper packaging you use, the less plastic you will need thus making your cargo more eco-friendly.
- Use strong packaging materials Packages get thrown and jostled and shaken up so using packing materials that will stand up to all of that is critical. Using durable packaging is eco-friendly because they can then be reused after you are done with them. If they are good enough quality then re-taping and re-shaping should not be a problem.
- Bulk up items If and when possible, ship items together in bulk. This saves on cost and materials. For example, let’s say that the flat rate cost of a small item shipping to south america, door to door delivery is $20 and you need to send five small items. Now let’s pretend that shipping a large item via sea freight shipping costs $50. You could use one large container and carefully package the smaller items into the one large container and save $50 on shipping.
- Lastly, find an eco-friendly carrier Do the research, look at american air cargo, sea freight shipping, etc to find out who fits your needs. If you use direct cargo transportation services your cargo will be transferred in a much more environmentally friendly manner.
These tips will help you immensely in being able to send your packages in an eco friendly way. Keep these five tips in mind before sending off a package to help save our environment, one package at a time.