As the school year progresses at a pretty quick clip there are a number of students who are already looking ahead to what they will be doing net year for college. And while it may not seem like a typical option, there are a growing number of students who are looking at transportation logistics for their future career. A combination of specialty freight services and overweight shipping fees mean that there are a number of factors that play into the charges for an item that is delivered.
Finding the right pricing, scheduling, and billing platforms help determine the success or the failure of a variety of companies. Determining these platforms, however, requires close attention to detail. In almost all cases, these details are determined by experts in the the truckload logistics field.
Truckload Shipping Rates Are Determined by a Number of Various Factors
From trade show equipment to pharmaceuticals transportation, it is always important to have the right delivery plans in place. In a time when consumers are used to getting what they want when they want it is should come as no surprise that the need for logistics workers is increasing. In fact, truckload logistics experts are needed now more than ever as more and more companies are eliminating large warehouses and shipping items from the retail store that is the closest to the online customer.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the logistics industry and the role that it plays in the nation’s economy:
- Nearly 12 million trucks, locomotives, rail cars, and vessels move goods over the network of transportation across this country.
- Represented 8% of annual gross domestic product, spending in the U.S. transportation and logistics industry totaled $1.48 trillion in the year 2015.
- The value of freight moved is expected to increase from $882 per ton in 2007 to $1,377 per ton in 2040, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- Approximately 5.9 million commercial motor vehicle drivers operate in the U.S., according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- Machinery, electronics, and motorized vehicles are the three most valuable commodities moved by the U.S. freight transportation system in America.
- The latest research indicates that the Less Than Load (LTL) market is estimated at approximately $35 billion.
When was the last time that you had to pay extra shipping for an online order that you wanted right away? When ever this happens you are part of the logistics industry that is helping the nation adjust to a new economy where more people are shopping online than in brick and mortar retail spaces. In order to efficiently transport all of these items it is necessary for truckload logistics officers to accurately calculate LTL solutions.